Friday, July 30, 2021

No relay, different networks, still getting DHCP renewals

We are replacing our DHCP server in a location with multiple VLANs. DHCP server is on VLAN 30, and the clients in question are on VLAN 10, 15 and 40. My understanding is that you'll always need a DHCP relay for a DHCP server on a different network than the client. Relay is set up for VLAN 15, 40 but there wasn't a relay set up for VLAN 10. VLAN 10 is phones that are all tagged traffic. VLAN 40 is untagged traffic.

Just to be sure, I am waiting on our vendor to confirm that the phone equipment isn't doing the relay. If they are doing the relay, they haven't changed the relay yet. However, I have seen since the migration to the new server and deauthorization of the old server, that those clients that appear to not have a DHCP relay to the new server are still renewing leases. Is there something I am missing here? How would VLAN 10 still be getting address renewals if there is no relay set up to the new server?

This network was inherited from an MSP, and my manager has told me they had issues with this specific location before relating to phones. But unfortunately they also didn't document anything so I have no idea what the issues were and what they did to resolve them. My guess is QOS was set up to ensure the VOIP quality based on conversations of what the issues were from an end user perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment