Friday, July 30, 2021

Looking for Information on the Addresses 0.0.0.132 and 0.0.0.0

My networking knowledge is rather limited although I do have some, but recently while playing a browser game, the page was redirected to https:// 0.0.0.132, which did not connect as it's not a public address. Note that this was not on page load, the site had been up and running just fine for a while.

I've asked around a bit, including r techsupport, and learned that 0.0.0.132 is not a valid publicly routable IP address. I found the Wikipedia article for 0.0.0.0, a similar address. Also, the site I was on did not have any odd code ( https:// jacorb90.me/DistInc.github.io/main.html ).

However, I'm still puzzled by what would cause such a redirect. I wasn't interacting with the page at the time, it was on a completely different screen.


I hope that maybe someone with experience in the networking field could shed some light on to what could cause such a thing:

  • Anyone with a slightly similar experience?

  • Or is such a redirection a common fallback or failure mode?

  • Are these addresses used when setting up networks in anyway?

  • Could such an address be used maliciously?

This is just a particularly odd occurrence, as I've never seen something like this. I've seen legit sites redirect due to bad ads and blank pages even, but I've never seen a website redirect to a local IP address.



No comments:

Post a Comment