Saturday, July 31, 2021

Layer 2 issue with new switch setup

Hello,

I generally work with Fortigates and Fortiswitches, but recently got involved with a project that involved Brocade, Arista, and Mellanox switches.

Topology link: https://ibb.co/sg8WY2j

I am adding the middle 40Gbps Mellanox MLAG switches to carry traffic between the 40Gbps Aristas on either side. I thought by setting the links between the Aristas and Mellanox to only carry VLAN 40 as an access port and removing VLAN 40 from the trunk links going between Aristas and Brocades, that I would prevent any looping issues. I was apparently wrong. When we connect both Arista stacks to the Mellanox stack, the entire network goes down. I have modified the priority of the top center brocade stack to make it always be the STP root for the network, but that didn't make any difference. I think the Aristas and Mellanox are running MSTP and the Brocades are running PVSTP. Can you wonderful folks help point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this L2 issue using these different types of devices? I have spent going on 4 or 5 hours on this and haven't been able to make any progress. I can try to answer all questions to the best of my ability. The majority of my experience is with firewalls/VPNs/UTM etc, L2 and STP are not among my strengths.



No comments:

Post a Comment