Monday, July 26, 2021

How to set up a free public wifi hotspot in small, rural community.

I am in the process of writing a grant to bring a few free public wifi hotspots to a few small (less than 1000 people) rural communities in my area. The goal being that kids/everyone without decent internet access at home would have somewhere to go without paying for the convenience (e.g. McDonalds, a coffee shop).

The service area would likely be no more than one city block, and perhaps a main square with a courthouse on it. I was thinking anywhere from 2-4 mesh nodes would work per location.

I have agreements from ISPs to donate service and installation, as well as cooperative business owners that would donate roof space for network equipment.

My biggest issue is finding which equipment to buy. I need to write the cost into my grant budget. I've heard good things about Meraki, but of course cannot seem to get someone from CISCO on the phone to answer my questions.

Also if someone knows a management software that specialized in public wifi filtering and access that would be great.

Any guidance would be very helpful.

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment