Thursday, July 15, 2021

[HELP] Commercial Wifi Setup for a Hotel?

So I'm new to all this but trying quite hard to help out a friend.

He's not technologically literate so it's all on me. And I suck at networking so here I am!

Building: 3 Story Hotel

Clients: Guests using wifi to stream internet/media, can throttle

ISP Plan: 25mb

Current Setup:

Main router on 1st floor at front desk, connects to 2 different extenders on ceiling of 2nd floor.

On first floor signal is strong, but extenders are doing a bad job despite me going in multiple times for config. I set up WPA2 (open network before) and passwords. During the setup the extender had a 50% connection rate to the 1st floor wifi. It constantly drops/breaks and requires manual restarts. Guests who are at the ends of the building get no connectivity whatsoever.

Requirements:

  • Strong wifi signal throughout entire building
  • Secure, prevent any malicious torrenting/illegal stuff if possible

My naive understanding so far is that I'd need to buy new routers/extenders and place them on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Hopefully if I can get away with 1 per floor by placing them in the middle or if I can place 2-3 on 2nd and have their range reach the 3rd floor that'd be great.

What kind of commercial router/extenders would I need? What is the best way to solve my use case?



No comments:

Post a Comment