Thursday, July 22, 2021

Have a weird need, and I was wondering if there's a tool for my situation as a vendor in a county Airport System

Hey Everyone.

I work for a parking solutions provider and we have a mid-sized install at a county airport where we only own the systems and access layer switches. All routing and firewalling is managed by the county.

The county is, interesting. They have about 5 HA firewall pairs set up between the airport(where our parking stuff lives) and the actual internet connection.

It's happened a few times now where all the payment devices go offline because of a failure at the county level in one of these HA firewalls. I've confirmed it as much with the county network engineer, but they're not super interested in working with us to monitor the network so that we can minimize the loss of payment traffic.

So, I was wondering if there was a open-source tool that allowed you to start a TCP scan of a particular host:port, but the TTL time was incremented by 1 for each successful hop, hopefully allowing me to take advantage of the TTL exceeded error message and figure out when and where this traffic is breaking down a lot faster.

Any ideas? Am I going down the wrong rabbit hole?



No comments:

Post a Comment