Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Fiber Optic Tap Cassette port

This is going to be a long one. I’m new at this job and this is a foreign concept to me so I’ll make it as simple, yet detailed as I can.

I have a router to firewall to apcon monitoring setup via fiber cassette in a data center that would not come up on the apcon teams’ side during a cutover. When I shoot a light that would mimic the Tx from the router with a fault locator out of the cutover cable(the one not yet plugged into the sfp) I receive a light out of the TX side(the rightmost side) that plugs into first block of a 3-port cassette(6 if you’re counting Tx/Rx). This is what I call my “in” port. I should mention, this cassette is located about two rows down from the router. That first cable is a direct run. The adjacent block on the cassette is taking that light out its leftmost side and is being run directly to a patch jumper that leads to the firewall(located about ~17 rows “backwards”). This is what I call my “out”. The cable that’s at the firewall(yet to be cabled) is reflecting light out of it’s right side, which would correspond with the RX on the firewall’s sfp.

Now here’s where it gets tricky for me.

The 3rd block on the cassette is my TAP port. The light coming through is supposed to bleed out 30% of the signal and transmit that over to the Apcon. This cable is not a direct run, it’s being patched into a jumper that then leads to the Apcon itself, where the cable is being physically split (think x,y). This is my breakout cable. I feel I need to describe the Apcon and hopefully paint a clear picture. They’re sfps that have caps covering either the TX or Rx side of the ports. Forgive me, I’m home now and writing this from memory. The piece of my breakout cable that plugs into my X port shines a light. If I were to take the fault locator and place it on the other side of the cable that would be plugged into my router, then my Y would shine a light.

My problem is that those ports on the Apcon did not come up when I tried completing the cabling. I feel I’ve done my due diligence and verified the light sources are correct and cleaned the cables. One thing that I did not do that just occured to me is to clean the sfp on the apcon. I’ll try it in the morning. Anyway I’m not sure where I’ve gone wrong here. Any help or advice is appreciated. Any clarification needed on my end, please ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment