Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Do I understand this subnet mask correctly?

I'm not entirely sure where to ask this, so I'll ask it here, I hope this counts as an educational question, though I'm not sure how well it fits into enterprise network design.

I'm working through old tests studying for my upcoming TCP/IP final, and I came across this question:

In a subnet with a mask size of /15, what type of address is 68.2.255.255 allowed to be?
a) Limited Broadcast
b) A host in the subnet
c) A private address with no meaning on the public network

d) Direct Broadcast to the subnet

e) An invalid address

The teacher who did the recording of the explanation claimed that the answer was d, a Direct Broadcast the the subnet.
This does not appear true to me, the mask being /15 means that we still have one bit left over in the second segment of the address which is outside of the subnet address and in this case remains a 0. Additionally the network address itself would fall under class A if we were using classful addressing (which we're not) so it can't even be confused as a class C direct broadcast.
So the way I see it, we have the following: 68.00000010.255.255 should be a host name, where the network address for the subnet is 68.2.0.0, subnet broadcast address is 68.3.255.255

Either the teacher did the work for a mask of /16, or there's something I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated, and if the post doesn't quite fit the sub let me know and I'll move it elsewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment