Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Connecting an HP/Aruba 5400 zl2 a Dell Poweredge r630at 10Gbe

I have an HP Aruba 5412zl2 switch with a spare 10Gbe SFP+ port in it. I also have a Dell Poweredge R630 with 10Gbe RJ45 ports. I'd really like to connect those two at 10Gbe speeds as cheaply as can be done reliably.

As mentioned, the R630 has two 10GBase-T ports already on it. However, it appears that there is no 10GBase-T SFP+ transceiver that's compatible with the HP/Aruba 5412zl2, and a full 10GBase-T module is around $3k.

I have a 10Gbe Direct Attach Cable that's compatible with the 5412zl2 (part J9283B), but no SFP+ ports on the R630. It looks like I can cheaply order a compatible card with 10Gbe SFP+ ports on it (e.g. the Broadcom 57810 Dual Port SFP+), but I don't know if those things can talk to each other.

Is an HP/Aruba Direct Attach Cable generic enough to talk to any SFP+ port, or is it specific to HP/Aruba equipment? Are there other options to connect these two piece of equipment? I'd really appreciate insight from any of you who have experience in this area. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment