Thursday, July 15, 2021

Business using public IP range for local network

Hi everyone, I was asked to help regarding an issue a friend of mine has with his internal business network. Networking is not my force, but I can understand some basic stuff.

Their network was created a while ago, more than 15 years ago, and they used a public IP range (1.0.0.X). That range resolves in Australia from what I see, but we are in Canada.

When people are 'inside' the business, either wired or wireless, everything seems 'fine' in a sense that all their tools (NAS, inventory network software, firewall, etc.) works, they can all be reached with their IP address since it's local and the firewall knows it, from what I understand.

The issue comes from people outside the business, connecting to the VPN and trying to access local services (the ones I named earlier) via their IP addresses, sometime it works, sometime it doesn't, it's like if the computer is dancing between the local service and Australia, all this while connected to VPN.

The weird thing is this : each IP address seems to be independant.

Take this : on their network, there's 4 network devices let's pretend. 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.4, when making a tracert to all those 4 IP, I get many hops, always heading to an IP located in Australia. But when I connect to VPN and make the same tracert, some will directly point to the local network device (one hop) and the other will give many expired hops, until it reaches 30 or so, then it stops. So some service work temporarily and others don't. I though the whole range would either work or not.

Apart from changing the range of the internal network, is there something to be done about it ? Is there something I can do to make sure all those services (IP) works as intended when VPN is on instead of trying to reach something in Australia or so ?

Thanks a lot everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment