Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Site-to-site VPN solutions for small-medium businesses

Hey all, was recommended to cross-post this topic here.

I've recently come on board with an MSP that primarily manages small-medium size businesses (I believe most of our clients are dental practices) that have maybe three or four sites at absolute max. My work experience in the field has primarily been inside the LAN so far and as I get trained for our operations and build my skills one of the things I want to get more familiar with is site-to-site networking so I can recommend solutions to our clients according to their needs and budget. Most of our operation is vendor support for practice management software but we do manage core networking infrastructure as well.

If our company has administered network equipment for a client then it will be Unifi switches and Sonicwall firewalls, both of which I'll get up to speed with hopefully shortly, but some have very basic ISP-provided hardware. I believe that we do not administer to home offices.

I'm familiar with the overall concept of site-to-site networking but as far as the execution, I was looking for some pointers; are there pure software solutions in the FOSS domain that can feasibly be utilized here, possibly with improvised hardware like a spare computer to act as a server, if not then what would be a good budget hardware solution for a small-medium business and what would the limitations be (e.g. number of concurrent users and/or licenses, etc.), particulars of different VPN clients/protocols, what are any HIPAA-related caveats, so on and so forth. A brief explanation of the overall logic of each solution would be helpful as well, if I need to do some research/reading that's perfectly fine too.



No comments:

Post a Comment