Saturday, June 12, 2021

Point of Sale - networking general advice inquiry

Hope this post doesn't get taken down, because I've been out of the enterprise networking game since I took over as my brothers caregiver.

So, my sisters boyfriend owns a bar and his POS system, and internet are all kinds of not functioning properly, and I've not touched Enterprise level networking in over 5 years, closer to 6, both my CCNA and CCNP are expired.

His system keeps freezing up, and I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice towards POS systems these days, or anything of that nature as I've never really touched POS all that much. I already know one of his problems is that his system is all running on 1500 feet of CAT4 when the distance between the two points is only 85 feet.

So, the bar is a basement style bar, think Cheers style bar, but a bit smaller, and video games instead of billiards. He has Comcast Business for his ISP, not sure what the specs for the service is, but he's using one of their crappy wireless modems. His POS systems manufacturer is TOAST, and they forced him to purchase their switch, and various other hardware devices that he supposedly needs for his bar. I figured I'd update his ethernet to CAT8 as I'm fairly certain that's the current standard, please advise me if I'm wrong. I figured I'd clean up his rats nest of a cabling situation that he showed me images of. I also think his wifi could use with a mesh system as it's still fairly large.

I'm waiting on photos and whatnot, but it'd be extremely helpful if there's any advice any experienced Point of Sale techs can give me. Once again, been out of the game for quite a while, and so I'm not really up to date on standards, terminology, or anything else of that nature. I've just been side hustling with basic cable running, and custom PC builds. So, any advice or information anyone can provide would be extremely helpful.



No comments:

Post a Comment