Wednesday, June 16, 2021

One softether client suddenly can't ping anything; everyone else has no issue

I'm the only IT person at a nonprofit that has a satellite office. At the main office, we have a virtualized (Hyper-V) Server 2012 machine which is our file server. The people who need remote access to the file server use a softether VPN, with the VPN server hosted on the file server.

One of our senior admins suddenly can't access the share from work or from home. When I use her computer, it connects to the softether VPN just fine, but I can't ping anything on the network. I've tried restarting and resetting all machines, checking the clients network settings, restarting the DNS and softether services on the server, and yet nothing works.

Forum posts elsewhere haven't been super helpful because they often involve trying to set up the VPN for the first time, but that isn't the problem here. I'm afraid to fiddle with much on the server side because it's working fine for everyone else, and I don't want to screw it up. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about how VPNs work, and my networking knowledge is on the rusty side. It's a relatively simple setup and things usually work, so I don't get much practice fixing them.

Any ideas (or even questions) would be much appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment