Monday, June 28, 2021

Need a basic overview of how to begin with mapping/VLAN setup

So I just started a new job. I've worked with Cisco switches before (very lightly), but not HP. I've never setup VLANs before, but I have a basic idea. I got my Network+ in December.

This small business I'm at has everything on one .255 subnet, which the IT guy there wants to push to .254. However, from my reading it seems smart to put different departments on different VLANs, even for a small business, am I right?

I've never actually had to setup a VLAN from scratch, or worked on one that wasn't on a Cisco switch.

There's only like, 4 areas really. Should I combine HR, which only has a couple people, with the front office? Then do a VLAN for the other areas that only have like, a 24 port switch to them.. and one area that has a 48 + 24 port switch? Should I do the VLANs according to the switch area, or by department?

I'm assuming I setup the VLAN on the main switch in the MDF?

Also, I don't know how large the place will grow. Right now they are tight on addresses since they are all on just one .255, so I'm wondering how many addresses I should give each VLAN if I do do this.

Sorry for the noob questions. I've been doing IT for 20 years, but networking I've never been able to dive in this deep before, but whatever I need to do I'll catch on/read on real quick.

Edit: I've started a network diagram in yworks. They didn't have one before. I've basically just been putting down the hardware and what they are connected to. I assume I should somehow include the VLANs in the diagram once I get them up?



No comments:

Post a Comment