Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Is it possible for a FiberChannel SFP to work in an Ethernet port? If so, how?

Context: After upgrading our ACI fabric over the weekend I was told the interfaces on our DataDomain were down. After some investigating I don't see how they were ever up. The DD is attached into a 10g SFP+ port on a 93180YC-FX leaf with a DS-SFP-FC8G-SW SFP and fiber to another SFP+ ethernet port in the DD with the same model FC SFP. These ports are ethernet and show as such in the DD config (eth0a and eth0b). Is there anyway possible this could have ever worked as such? I swapped these connections out with Twin-ax and didn't have to change any ACI config and they come online immediately but they are swearing this device was working on those ports prior and for the life of me I can't see how. There is a third connection that is a 1Gb copper management interface and I can only assume they were functioning with that somehow.



No comments:

Post a Comment