Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Good methods for learning communication protocols in detail?

The vast majority of my searches regarding a specific protocol return a theoretical overview of its functionality. If I dig deeper I’m able to find how I can implement and configure existing software that uses said protocol. However I’m struggling to find information about the literal contents of the packets sent at each step, as well as other nuanced information (which I imagine there must be plenty of).

How would you recommend I go about studying protocols in this much detail? So far I have been playing around with C sockets, but I’m probably going to get bored of creating a program for every new protocol I study.

Should I use something like wireshark and netcat to play around with various protocols? If yes, how would I go about doing it for something as infrequent as a dhcp lease? Should I create a virtual dhcp server?



No comments:

Post a Comment