Thursday, June 10, 2021

Fiber Networking Noob

Not sure if this is the right sub for this?
My company recently got new workstations with 25GbE NICs with SFP28 ports and was presented an upgrade plan from the workstations manufacturer to a new 100GbE NIC with QSFP56 Ports.
I know that I can connect 4 servers with SFP28 cards/transceivers to a single QSFP28 port in a switch with a breakout cable. I´m puzzled if this also works the other way around? So I´m connecting 4 SFP28 ports on the switch to one QSFP56 NIC in the workstation? This would limit the single connection/lane speed to the SFP28 transcievers?
Reason would be that the smaller workstations will deliver their content with 25GbE to the "main" render workstation that needs the bigger NIC bandwith to ingest all of them at once.

I just feel overwhelmed by this new QSFP56 with little experience in more than single lane fiber networking



No comments:

Post a Comment