Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Expected signal and signal loss values for mechanically spliced fibre?

I think this slightly goes beyond the scope of r/homenetworking so asking here (as some of you guys may be experienced with mechanical splicing and what values look normal).

Planning to move part of my lab into the shed (~30m away from the house), and am planning to use fibre to avoid any lightning risk causing damage to equipment) and will be using a mechanical splice joiner to connect it to a pigtail (to terminate it in a wall box). I have some unterminated armoured stuff I picked up from work I'm planning to use.

I've tried doing a test run with the fibre and pigtail compared to some connectorised stuff I have to check how bad the loss is and things I should worry about.

Table below has the figures my optical meter read out, can someone see a massive issue in the numbers that would make mechanical splicing a no-go? I can get a solid 10G BiDi link on the cable which was sustained upon testing overnight with no CRC/FEC errors. Testing with a VFL only shows a tiny glow in the mechanical splice window, and the dBm range does fall in the receiver sensitivity for the optic at the other end. However, aware if something just 'works' it's not always advisable to deploy.

There is one SC APC coupler and one SC APC to LC UPC patch lead being used (the LC plugs into the optic). Cable lengths for both are around 31 meters (~102ft).

Pre-terminated Mechanical splice
dB value 3.48dB 2.85dB
dBm value -6.59dBm -7.36dB
uW value 219.2uW 183.4uW

Super grateful for any guidance!



No comments:

Post a Comment