Friday, June 4, 2021

Core Switch Suggestions

Hey there,

I'm starting to plan to decommission a really old Cisco Catalyst switch we use in our core and want to replace it with two switches for some redundancy.

There's nothing really complicated with our current setup, there's some VLAN SVIs, ACLs, DNS load balancing, Route Maps and some OSPF. Our border router (Another catalyst) takes care of BGP and upstream routing (We might want to condense these two units into a couple smaller, higher powered switches). We have between 1-4G of sustained traffic in either direction at the edge and internal traffic contained within the datacenter like iSCSI, client backup jobs etc.

I was getting excited and looking at the white box switches on FS along with Cumulus to see if these would be a cost effective replacement. But after Broadcom cut SDK access because Nvidia owns Mellanox, I'm not really wanting to go this direction as I was considering this as a way to save on costs and to not be vendor locked on hardware.

My question is, are there other reliable NOS I can use on these white box switches or am I better off trying to go with something like Arista? If I'm better off going with a specific vendor, what are your recommendations?

Price is a bit of a concern which is why I was going down the white box rabbit hole earlier.



No comments:

Post a Comment