Monday, June 21, 2021

Copying config from legacy Arista routers/switches to replacement JunOS appliances?

Alright so I'll preface this by saying I'm no network engineer. I'm a systems engineer who dabbles in networking more than my colleagues.

Unfortunately, we're incredibly short staffed and our network engineers have recently been reduced to 0, with one guy still around who used to be a senior network engineer but is now in charge of his own project - so it's not his job and hasn't been for over a year. We're looking to hire network engineers but the process is slow. I'll re-iterate - I understand that a systems engineer can't just hop over and replace a network engineer without proper experience, I know this situation isn't ideal, but it's the one I've found myself in.

As I'm the closest thing we have right now I've been asked to perform this task, but I don't really know that much about actual appliance-based networking.

So.. The running-config of the Arista switches isn't super complex or anything. I guess I've just gotta figure out what their equivalents are on JunOS. I mean, I understand the concept of documentation because I'll dive into the docs with Ansible, Linux, Python, or whatever when I have to, but I guess I'm just looking for some advice, or even thoughts, from actual network engineers here. I've worked with network security appliances before so switch/router CLI's aren't a totally alien concept to me. NTP servers, SNMP, IP nameservers and domains, users, spanning tree (shudder), vlans and their associated interfaces, and the routing/mlag config.

I know nobody is going to be able to give me a step-by-step guide so generic advice on what resources to use or whether any guides for this kind of thing already exist is what I'm looking for. Any help, rants or other general thoughts are more than welcome. Feel free to tell me how fucked I am because I can appreciate the comic value of the situation as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment