Thursday, June 3, 2021

Cant ping default gateway,any device on the LAN, but can go online and receive pings (not firewall issue)

Hi everyone

At work we just had a new employee arrive and I set her up with a laptop. I installed all the apps she needed but when I got to installing her printer over the network it didnt work.

Tried adding the same printer on my own laptop (and one other) as a test and it worked.

It turns out this laptop I got her (not new, been in our server room laying around for a year or so) cannot ping anything. Not its own default gateway, not any printer or any other host. It also cannot connect to our OpenVPN server. It is connected to the same access point as everyone else.

This laptop can also receive pings (and it replies to them) from any other hosts, and can ping the loopback address.

Another very strange thing is that when I tried disconnecting it from our network, then connected it to a hotspot I made off my phone, and then reconnected it back to our network, everything worked again for 20 seconds or so and I could again ping anything on the network.

This is not a firewall issue since I m looking at the rules and there are no block rules set within the VLANs, only for the WAN interface (and those are just to block bogon,private addresses)

I am honestly completely stumped as to what is happening

The only suggestion I could give to her was to complete the Windows update that has probably been pending for a while since it has last been used. Could this be the issue? She will do the update overnight so it does not interrupt her work.

In the meantime ,if anyone has any suggestions I welcome them.

Thanks so much everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment