Thursday, June 3, 2021

Brocade ICX MSTP setup

Hey all, long time listener, first time calller.

I recently took on a job as network admin at a brocade only shop, while I come from cisco-land. I'm figuring out the different method of vlanning, but the way MSTP is still confusing. I understand how it's setup, it's started, scope defined, with the region name, revision, etc. What I find confusing is that each vlan has 'no span' in the config. I've asked several times, and all I get here is "that's how we set it up".

From the documentation I can find on ruckus/commscope/whatever sites, it appears that command disables 802.1w for the vlan. One guide says it disables spanning-tree entirely). MSTP is running on the switches for sure. I've checked a couple, and while they've sent millions of bpdus, they've not ever received any.

Anyone have insight into MSTP on these brocades? Is 'no spanning-tree' disabling part of MSTP I'm missing, or just an odd redundancy?

I'm gonna see if I can set up a handful of switches on my desk the next few days and see for myself, but if there's an expert or two here, I'd love to hear from ya. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment