Saturday, June 5, 2021

Best setup for a LAN w/o internet access

Hello,

I am setting up a small office LAN which will not be connected to the internet. It will consist of <10 workstations, 3 printers, and a NAS.

I don't see the need for a router, and am planning on using a switch like the Ubiquiti Switch 24 to tie it all together.

I can either a) build a DHCP server, b) set static IPs on all devices, or c) use local link IPs.

I don't want to do a) because I want to keep this as lightweight as possible. There will not be a LAN admin onsite and I just want it to work.

B) is OK but I don't know what printers will be purchased yet so I don't know if I will have the option of setting the static IPs on the printers or not...is it very common to have that option?

Will C) work with printers and NAS, allowing filesharing and printing automatically from all workstations?

What are your thoughts on this? Do you see any problems I will run into? Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment