Saturday, June 26, 2021

Are layer 4 PDUs (segments and datagrams) packets? How do they differ?

Learning about the TCP/IP model, it's pretty basic so I really want to know the basics well.

A quick google search gave me this answer:

The Layer 4: transport layer PDU is the segment or the datagram. The Layer 3: network layer PDU is the packet. The Layer 2: data link layer PDU is the frame. The Layer 1: physical layer PDU is the bit or, more generally, symbol.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_data_unit

However, diving a little bit into what's the difference between segments and datagrams, I found this on Quora (Not quoting the full answer since it's kinda long)

...In the end they all are packets, and the "frames", "datagrams" and "segments" (etc), are just names so people can know in what kind of layer the packet is being referenced.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-datagrams-and-segments-in-the-TCP-IP-and-OSI-models

If so the layer 4 PDUs are packets then the layer 3 PDUs are packets too?

Sorry, I know this is very basic stuff, but my head is a mess right now. It seems like despite being very basic stuff every source, every website I check has a different definition for everything :(

Also, trying to find information on certain stuff is very complicated. Most of the time if I want to google "What's X?" almost every resource has answers like "Oh, easy! That's just the layer X PDU" or something like that.

I googled it because I saw it's the layer X PDU I don't need you to tell me that, I want to know what it is and why it works, I already know it's layer X PDU :(.

And the worst part is that most of the times they will just tell you that without any further elaboration, and the few times that they do elaborate, it's using terms and jargons that I can't understand and trying to google about them will just give me definitions using the terms I was googling about to begin with.

I could just take the easy route and memorize what's what, but I really want to take the time and effort to comprehend it :(



No comments:

Post a Comment