Monday, May 17, 2021

Need some help with planning of new network for a SAN

Hey guys,

We are currently on the verge of deploying a fresh new SAN (over NFS) for our office. The main goal is to upgrade our current infrastructure for a HA setup.

We currently have a setup of redundant firewalls but need new switches and I could use your help regarding some point.

We need 2 switches with minimum 10GB SFP+. We are a rather small company (with low IOPS requirement) so we are not looking to break the bank since the SAN will also be pretty expensive. Therefore, we have around 3k$ CAD total to spend for the 2 switches.

Here are my questions:

1- I've read that with my budget I should go with some used big brands like Arista instead of new lower end switch like Mikrotik. Since I won't be using iSCI or FC does that still apply to me ? Any switch you recommend ? Anything special spec wise I need to look for ?

2- I was thinking of having 2 different subnets. One for the SAN traffic and one for all the VMs traffic. Would that cause issue if they both flow through the same switch ? I see people recommend dedicated switch just for the storage traffic but it seems rather overkill for us ?

3- To make the whole thing redundant, I was thinking of plugging everything like so and using nic bonding (active-backup) on all the hypervisor and use a single uplink cable between both switch. Is this a good idea ?

In the end I'm just looking for a simple to manage and reliable network.

Thanks for the help



No comments:

Post a Comment