Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Looking For Ideas

I've inherited a small school district of about 5500 people - Sole Netadmin/System... I'm finally getting to the physical and virtual infrastructure side and I'm trying to get ideas of where to clean up at, what to improve, and what to add.

I'm working on a campus that is basically "a big switch" with Comcast ENS at remote locations and 10GB fiber to all campuses onsite. So, hopefully that helps paint the picture physically. Here's a list of switches too

4500-E, 2960S/L, 1000L, a 2950 here or there (going away and being replaced with 1000L switches)

  • I'm thinking physical recabling (APs are yellow, Data is blue, Phones are black)
  • Remove the 2U cable managers and place switches in between 2U Patch
  • Asset tag all switches and network racks
  • Balance power throughput switches
  • Configure a standard for ports (ports 1-10 are vlan 200 for all switches, ports 11-15 are vlan 250, etc..)
  • Upgrade IOS on switches and do so on a half year basis
  • Cleanup VTP (I inherited switches that are servers, transparent, and off)
    • I'm thinking instead of trunking and then creating the vlan manually on the switches create a VTP on the 4500-E and then set the rest of the switches as transparent
  • Clean up vlan's
  • Setup a log server
  • Create an automation service to automate config backups

These are some of the things above that I came up with but I'd really be interested to hear what others would want to do in a campus all fiber environment.



No comments:

Post a Comment