Saturday, May 22, 2021

How exactly is packet size determined?

Hello, I transmited a text file via TCP and captured the resulting traffic into a .pcap using tcpdump.

What I would like to know is, what exactly determines the size of the packets containing the data sent (obviously not counting SYN and ACK packets).

Each packet/frame was 1466 bytes long including the 14 bytes of the Ethernet II header and IP and TCP headers. Why is it 1466 exactly?

Everywhere I look online it says that the maximum size of a packet is is dependent on MTU, whick in my case (Ethernet II) is 1500B (not counting the Ethernet header) so, why is it 1466 instead of 1514 which would be MTU + Ethernet header. But I have a feeling I am misunderstanding something.

TL:DR - How is the size of a packet determined?

Also sorry if the question does not exactly match this sub as the description says "Enterprise Networking Design", but there arent that many places where ne can get networking answers.



No comments:

Post a Comment