Thursday, May 27, 2021

Help needed with chopping up a network, please!!

Hi all,

I'm having a brainfart moment today and it's not even the start of work where I am (coffee needed, lots)...

So, I'm tasked with redesigning the (small) company network and I'm planning to use VLANs - 4 in total. I'm looking for help with assigning IPs under the vlsm method - basically chopping up a network into various sizes for these VLANs.

I'm thinking to do the following:

VLAN1 - 172.16.0.254/24 (used only for VLAN1 and untagged traffic)

Mgmt VLAN - 172.16.0.0/29 (used for remotely controlling networking devices - IPs needed is approximately 5)

File/Print VLAN - 172.16.0.8/28 (as the naming convention states, this vlan is used for accessing data and printing - IPs needed is approx. 10)

Workstations VLAN - 172.16.0.48/27 (again, as the name says, this vlan is for staff pcs / laptops etc. - IPs needed is approx. 25)

The issue I'm having is I can't remember for the life of me if I can chop a network like this (as in setting up a vlsm that isn't consequential or creating vlsm that doesn't follow on from the last network address allocation). I have set DHCP range which is untagged and that's ok but since I'm still in the setup stage, I want to make sure I'm not making too many stupid mistakes.

Thanks for any and all comments / help / tips!!



No comments:

Post a Comment