Wednesday, May 26, 2021

csma/cd computer science clarification

I have a dilemma on the CSMA/CD, more specifically the explanation I have been given in class.

The exercise/problem is as follow: using CSMA/CD, station A starts transmitting at time 0, when A reaches time 8, B starts transmitting. Total time to travel from A to B is 10. When A and B will know a collision happened?

After a bit of search, my understanding is as follow: A is 8, B is 0 and starts. They both meet at time 9 where collision occurs. At collision time time 9 the signal is propagated in both direction informing A and B of collision:

therefore B is informed at time 2 ( 10 - 9 = 1, 1 in one direction + coming back 1 == 2) A is informed at time 18 (time 9 at collision + 9 to travel back == 18)

Am I correct in my reasoning?

The explanation given was as follow: A is informed at 18 because A was 8 + 10 to travel back B is informed at 10 because it takes 10 to travel from B to A

I am a bit unsure if the explanation given makes sense (to me). Arent the frame discarded at collision and a higher signal because of the crash is propagated to both station in both directions ?



No comments:

Post a Comment