Friday, May 7, 2021

Cisco Stackwise

I will be the first to admit that I am a network beginner. My first real work on enterprise networking has been on the Cat9200 line, though I did my learning on 3560 and 2900.

I've done plenty of decent sized stacks on 9200's at this point, so I'm familiar with the physical Stackwise concept (using actual stack ports and cables). However, when we went to move a critical piece of our network from a single FastE switch to a 1G stack we ran into a problem. We were looking to split the stack across two different cabinets in our data center. What my team lead ended up getting was 2 2900xr switches and running the stack over structured Om3 fiber. The idea was a cool one, but I didn't like that we were seemingly going backwards on version. However, Cisco told us that's all they had (about 6 months ago). So I didn't argue (what did I know?).

However, now I'm seeing that the Cat9400 & 9500 switches have a virtual stackwise feature. Is that similar to what we're doing with the 2900xr? Could we have used new switches this whole time?



No comments:

Post a Comment