Thursday, May 27, 2021

Cisco Smart Licensing

Hey Guys,

So, I am new to everything regarding licensing of Cisco hardware in any way.

Currently I am facing following situation:

I do have some Cisco ISR4331 routers running ios-xe 16.09.X. These are not yet SMART licensed.
In the SMART Account I do have SL-4330-SEC-K9 licenses which are registered to the respectice route processor serials of the devices.

By accident some of these licenses have been converted to SMART License and are now 'not in use', though the respective serial can still be found in the details of the license and the affected routers are still registered, since they do not communicate with the Cisco SMART Software Manger (CSSM).

Also I still have some PAK lcienses lying around which are waiting to be converted to SMART License.

multiple questions come to mind now:

  • When updating to ios-xe 16.12.x and activating smart licensing (which is required for ios-xe 16.10.x and later) does the router get the same license which has its route processor serial linked?
  • When setting up a new ISR4331 with ios-xe 16.12.x which was not yet licensed at all, will the licenses which have a serial linked be used to register the new device or will they be left untouched until I remove the device delegation or the correc?
  • In case the new router gets one of the previously assigned licenses, can I use one of the PAK licenses for the other routers which then will be upgraded so they can use SMART Licensing?

I would appreciate any help or reference to any documentation that could help me solving this.

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment