Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Best practices for local pref/prepending with 2 BGP peers and default routes?

I manage the "edge" network for a small outfit that has a single AS and 2 gig ethernet transit upstreams that send me default routes only (kinda risky in my mind to take on full tables with a Mikrotik RB1100AHx4, but router upgrade is another story).

Right now the "preferred" transit provider (peer #1) has the incoming default route accepted and the local pref set to 100 and the "backup" transit provider (peer #2) has local pref set to 75. Bogons and </24 is filtered out by default, etc. No other local prefs used.

On the outgoing filters for each peer I don't do anything special with peer #1 and prepend the AS path 3 times on peer #2. I have no reason to pick 3 other than it's what seemed reasonable after some research.

The current goal here is to get majority of traffic in/out through peer #1 (last I checked it's about 96%). I know this is a weird setup, but due to current issues with peer #2 I decided to set it up this way for now. Peer #2 will only be used significantly if the session/link with peer #1 goes down.

While I work through getting a third transit provider so I can drop #2, I am wondering if this setup is acceptable and if I'm missing something obvious here. After reading a lot about AS path prepending, it seems like there are possible issues, but this is where I'd appreciate some feedback. Any help is much appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment