Tuesday, May 11, 2021

10Gbps fiber link only pulling 5Gbps

I have a UniFi XG Aggregate switch that routes traffic between the router, a Dell r720xd with a I believe Intel SFP+ NDC, a Qnap NAS with SFP+, and two workstations with Mellanox cards. SFP+ modules are Ubiquiti but I also have some other 10Gtek Amazon ones.

When using iPerf, I can do 6Gbps at most between the workstations and the Qnap. Workstation to r720xd is typically 4-5Gbps. I have tweaked the hell out of offloads, jumbo frame, etc, but have only yielded minimal or worse results. My experience with 10Gb is fairly limited to this setup, and I have actually seen better success out of 10Gbe, but I would love to get these connections higher for our new 96TB r720xd that’s showing up Friday, which I ordered an Intel x710 NDC for that came with intel modules. Is 6Gb pretty standard for just a 50 foot run? Or am I losing speed somewhere.

On another note, this new server is going to run in raid 10 and be a primary server for editing RAW video off of. Any recommendations for a NAS OS that manages streaming large video files would also be greatly appreciated. Trying to get up to 800MBps consistent with low latency for scrubbing timelines. I know where to look to solve all this I just think I’ve missed something

Anything helps. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment