Wednesday, April 14, 2021

When do you bother filing a bug report?

My original thinking was "hold the vendors to a standard of quality. if product isn't performing to spec, yell at them until they fix". But Cisco has worn me down to the point that I'm more inclined to just use whatever shitty workaround I can figure out if possible.

Latest code upgrades for SDWAN have broken the "code upgrade" function so that one version of the upgrade procedure automatically rolls back unless you jump into the CLI of the devices to confirm. Cisco TAC thinks this is okay.

Essentially if we use the "download and activate immediately" button it works fine. If we download first, then use the "activate" button later then it never "confirms" the upgrade like it's supposed to and the vEdge rolls back after a timer.

VERY disappointing to arrange a maintenance window, complete the upgrade, give the all clear, and 15 minutes later both devices at a site reboot.

But whatever. We've got a known work around now, and whether Cisco acknowledges the bug or not... I know it'll make the product better for me and for other folks in my shoes. I know it's not that much work to open a case and send them an admin tech or whatever... but just the thought of their stupid ticket portal leaves me exhausted. Someone's getting paid to QA their shitty products, and it it's not me or anyone else on my team.

Where do you guys draw the line? Do you push for bug IDs for stuff like this and aggressively pursue them? or just take the workaround and live with it?



No comments:

Post a Comment