Friday, April 23, 2021

VXLAN Without Spine Switches

At work I got 5 N9k-C93108TC-FX, my boss wants to use 3 of those at our HQ and 2 at a remote office. The vendor sold him the nexus switches but not the service for installation/configuration. I only have experience with Catalyst switches. After doing research I figured out I need VXLAN EVPN to connect the 3 racks to the remote office for replication.

The problem is I've never played around with Nexus, only Catalyst, my WAN uses EIGRP, and don't have spine switches, I figured to break this project in two parts.

Part 1

Install the 3 nexus switches in HQ and extend the L2 domain on all three switches in order to have all servers on the same subnet.

Problem = don't know how to do this without having a collapsed core design (1 root switch and 2 access switches). Can't use VPC since it only works with 2 switches. And don't really like the idea of the collapsed core design since only the core switch (middle ToR Switch) will be connecting to the Core WAN switch.

Part 2

Install the other 2 switches at the remote location and extend the layer 2 domain to the remote site. ONLY AFTER GETTING THE HQ UP AND RUNNING

Problem = don't know if I can do VXLAN/EVPN with only leaf switches

Maybe i'm just overthinking this project, but I prefer taking my time and doing a good job rather than a sloppy fast job, I've read many whitepages from cisco but they're all confusing. If anyone out there is willing to help me on this project and show me how to properly do it would really appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment