Tuesday, April 27, 2021

SAN network design advice

Our Storage Network engineer recently left the company and I inherited his responsibilities. We have a dual Fabric Fabric SAN including 10 Switches per Fabric. There is a mix of 8 Gb Cisco MDS 9513, 16 Gb Cisco MDS 9710 & 32 Gb Cisco MDS 9710 running in a partial mesh topology.

The partial mesh topology doesn't seem logical to me but I got told it's a result of our growing infrastructure without thinking of a proper topology, for example a Core-Edge topology.

First of all, our SAN works and we don't need to put a lot of effort or resources in it. I'm now 2 years with this company and we haven't had any serious issues so far. So I'm cautious to make any changes.

We have different VSANs and template starter zones in place for most of our Storage Systems. Whenever a new server needs to be zoned the template zone is copied and the server WWN's are added. I don't know if this is a general best-practice but it seems to work and causes no problems. There is always the possibility someone removes all the zonings in a VSAN per accident but we do take regularly zone back-ups.

I've been reading about Cisco Smart zoning but I doesn't see much value for our company. What do you guys think? Any advice for my position? I have more of a Sysadmin background so this SAN Network is a bit new for me but I'm eager to learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment