Saturday, April 24, 2021

S3048-ON FTOS 9 primary/secondary/default boot images

I'm a software (Linux, virt, etc.) guy, not a networking guy. For my sins, I also manage my team's small lab, which uses a stack of Dell S3048-ON switches running FTOS 9. We'll be expanding the stack from 2 to 4 switches in a couple of weeks, and I'm taking the opportunity presented by having the new switches sitting around to research the details of how these things work and write some internal documentation.

Right now I'm working on the OS9 upgrade process. I've reached the point that I've got the updated OS written to the B: partition of both switches.

Dell#show boot system stack-unit all Current system image information in the system: =============================================== Type Boot Type A B ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- stack-unit 1 FLASH BOOT 9.10(0.1P8)[boot] 9.14(2.9) stack-unit 2 FLASH BOOT 9.10(0.1P8)[boot] 9.14(2.9) stack-unit 3 is not present. stack-unit 4 is not present. stack-unit 5 is not present. stack-unit 6 is not present. 

I'm pretty sure that the next step is to use the boot system command to set both switches to boot from their B: partition, i.e.:

boot system stack-unit {1|2} {default|primary|secondary} system://B: 

I've been unable to figure out the meaning of default/primary/secondary in this context. Having a default would make sense; having a primary and a secondary would make sense. The combination, however, doesn't seem to make any sense at all, and (this being Dell) I've been able to find anything that explains what these terms really mean.

Anyone know?



No comments:

Post a Comment