Saturday, April 10, 2021

Remote port forwarded printer is un-reachable after upgrade

We had a printer at work which was very old and producing bad prints so we switched this out for another one. This printer is basically only used from inside a remotely hosted terminal. I changed the IP of the new printer to match that of the old printer and changed the driver (Printer Properties > Advanced > Driver (Windows 10)). I assumed this would work and the port forwarding which had already been setup for the old printer would now work for the new printer, but that does not seem to be the case.

Relevant points:

  • 80% of the printers we use are the same make and model as the new one with the same port-forwarding setup and the same drivers
  • When printing to this printer from the remote terminal the documents just sit in the queue and the Windows recons the printer is in 'Error'
  • I have double checked that the port forwarding is setup correctly (Port 9100 locally, to port 9107 on our remote server)
  • I have tried printing to this printer from a PC on our local network and this works fine
  • Telnet can reach the printer locally on port 9100
  • Telnet cannot reach the IP of the remote server on port 9107
  • Telnet can reach the IP of the remote server on ports used for other printers we have of the same make and model
  • I have tried turning the printer off and on again

I have talked to an IT company we use and they went through the same basic trouble shooting and checked the port-forwarding for me. They were also stumped and asked if they can reboot our router (the local one doing the port forwarding I guess). I declined this request as it was a bad time. (anytime during working hours is a bad time really)

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything else I can try?



No comments:

Post a Comment