Monday, April 12, 2021

Ping Fluctuations

I have two network connected access control panels at two very near physical locations. The main panel is above our server room, and the second is a fiber connection a few hundred feet away. We have older switches, maybe 9-10 years old. For over 10 years, the network has been totally fine with our badge panels, and their sub 10ms response requirements to allow access to the building. Two weeks ago, they started pinging over 10, sometimes hitting over 100ms, which prevents the door codes/badge swipes from unlocking the doors. Now, I'm seeing a steady fluctuation between 1 - 20ms., and an occasional 100+ms. I have swapped the cables, ports, switches, turned off traffic inspection on the firewall, confirmed no running back ups at time of spikes, had the door access NIC replaced in the panel, changed the power supply, and had back up batteries swapped. Changed the static IPs, confirmed they're not in DHCP scope to reserve, and changed the gateway on the readers. Confirmed the port used for transmission (3001) is okay, too. If I pull the power on one of the panels, the ping will stay at 1ms for about an hour, then steadily increase. I am at my wits end on this. We have a pretty flat/standard network, nothing like OSPF set up. I am a one person IT department, and am relying on vendors for help. They're both great, but neither has any idea what's going on at the moment that's causing this.

Any tips/tricks you can suggest? I'm very new to this, but want to do a good job. I hate being dependent, but at this time, I am at the whim of the vendor/consultant.



No comments:

Post a Comment