Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Native VLAN mismatch driving me crazy

I'm a bit of a newer network technician and am running into an issue that I've been working at for several hours now and it seems like a fairly simple fix but I just can't seem to "get" there. I have two directly connected switches via fiber (Cisco 6506 port Gi2/9 to Cisco SG550X Te1/0/5). The SG550X is brand new and it just replaced a Cisco 3508GXL. The config on the 6506 port has not changed at all and it was running fine with the 3508, but I'm now seeing this message every 5min on the SG550X:

%CDP-W-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch detected on interface te1/0/5.

6506 port Gi2/9 config:
switchport
switchport access vlan 23

SG550X port Te1/0/5 config:
no macro auto smartport

The old 3508GXL had no config at all on the connected uplink port to 6506, just the defaults (blank).

Connectivity between the devices fail if the SG550X Te1/0/5 is set to:

switchport access vlan 23
(Note: There are no vlans configured on the SG550X or downstream switches)

I get a Native VLAN mismatch on the SG550X if I set Te1/0/5:

switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 23
OR
switchport mode trunk
OR
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1
OR
switchport mode access
OR
switchport mode access
switchport trunk native vlan 23

I realize some of these are just wrong, but I've been throwing everything at it and I know I'm missing something here. I don't want to change the 6506 port to a trunk port, I'd like to leave it as is. Many thanks to anyone who attempts to help this poor soul get a better understanding of what's happening. I thought I had a good understanding of tagged, untagged, native vlans, access and trunk ports, but I suppose not...



No comments:

Post a Comment