Friday, April 23, 2021

Internet bandwidth planning for small-mid sized company

Hello everyone,

I am an IT guy working for this small-mid sized company and would like to get some opinion regarding internet bandwidth planning.

Currently we have two internet lines coming into my router like below:

  1. Primary internet - 1Gbps best effort. sometimes it has a huge network congestion
  2. Secondary internet - 100Mbps guaranteed bandwidth

The problem that I would like to resolve here is the huge congestion on the primary internet.

Internet usage on the primary internet is normally 50Mbps - 80 Mbps but sometime it goes over 100-200Mbps for about 15-30 mins once or twice a week due to some company wide video calls (these video calls are sometimes important, sometimes not so much).

I was originally thinking about switching the primary internet and make the secondary internet as the primary but now I see those 100-200Mbps spikes, I feel like to upgrade the secondary internet bandwidth to accommodate the heavy traffic.

I think it is not much information to determine what is best to do here but I would like to ask for your opinion whether those 100-200Mbps spikes are a good reason to upgrade internet bandwidth.



No comments:

Post a Comment