Friday, April 16, 2021

How do you determine if your being bottlenecked by your Ethernet cables?

In practical terms how do you guys go about testing to determine your cabling is delivering the speeds advertised or exactly the upper limit of what your media can provide? I know the show interface command can tell you a lot but I'm probably not as well versed in it as I should be. Also I get the feeling that just running show interface <whatever> isn't enough. Do you all feel it's necessary to generate traffic to really stress test what your interfaces and cabling are capable of? If so what tools do you use?

I've seen clients absolutely refuse the expense of running new cabling and clients that would speed way to much on the best cable on the market without considering whether it was necessary or whether the network equipment could keep up with it. I looking to be able to dive a bit deeper that just cable and port specifications and be able to see what is actually happening in any given network link.



No comments:

Post a Comment