Saturday, April 10, 2021

Does there exist a high level overview of enterprise networking, without getting into the details?

tl;dr is there a book, website, youtube series, where I can read about what (and why) enterprise networking entails, without the expectation that I would actually need to work on the networks themselves (the how)?

As a program lead for a clinical enterprise application, I'm often required to coordinate incident resolution (or architect new solutions at a high level) between engineers across multiple streams. For example, an integration solution that crosses over 3 data centers isn't working...so we need the people who support the components within each of those DCs, plus the teams who support the networks in between, all on a call to figure out where it's broken.

The lingo network engineers throw out can sometimes sound like an alien language and it's my job to be able to digest this and summarize the situation for clinical executives (who are typically ex nurses and doctors, who know nothing about IT). I know a lot more than the others in similar roles around me, and I have the respect of network admins who are legendary for just ignoring emails from my peers, but always want to learn more.

I've done a cursory search, and every resource I've found is written with the expectation that you're going for your certification, or want to pursue a career in network admin, but that doesn't apply to me.

Appreciate any help! If it's a stupid endeavor, feel free to roast me!



No comments:

Post a Comment