Friday, April 23, 2021

Discussion : DC cabling

Hi all,

This is a rant/discussion.

I work for a huge company in their EMEA hub site (the second of the 3 major hub sites). Every bloody time I try to do anything in that DC something goes wrong!

From installing a new device to tracing a cable, everything i touch affects something else.

Cabling is as good as it can be for a site that has been fairly grown the last decade. I know its not an AWS availability zone, but cabling is not that bad. However touching some cables can bring the service down.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Is it because the DC is "too warm" and causes issues with cables? Or is it because the cables have been connected to the devices/switches/PDUs for so long that plastics become loosened? I am becoming "the guy who brings the network down" and I do not like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment