Friday, April 16, 2021

Cisco C8500L-8S4X vs Cisco ASR 1001-X

I am looking at a replacement of our WAN service's routers in our Data Center that are running Cisco ASR 1001's today. Today one router has a 1x1Gb rate limited to 250Mb and VPC port-channel down to switches over 1Gb interfaces. The other router has 1x1Gb rate limited to 250Mb and 1x1Gb rate-limited down to 500Mb and the VPC port-channel VPC port-channel down to switches over 1Gb interfaces. I want to upgrade those switches connections from 2x1Gb to 2x10Gb and move a connection in a switch that is 10Gb rate-limited down to 1Gb up to one of these routers so I can control it better with QoS/routing. At some point in the near future, I might add another 10Gb rate-limited to the other router.

I was looking at a Cisco ASR 1001-X but when I looked at the Cisco Commerce page to look at the Cisco ASR 1001-X options on port and throughput licenses, I see a notice to check out the Cisco C8500L-8S4X as its cost may be cheaper. Apparently this Cisco C8500L-8S4X came out some months ago and is the replacement for the ASR 1001-X line. After looking at the comparisons, the Cisco C8500L-8S4X lines up with exactly what I want and comes in cheaper in overall cost from the Cisco ASR 1001-X. It looks like out of the box the Cisco C8500L-8S4X has more 10G interfaces and they are enabled out of the box. When you look at the maintenance costs, there is no comparison between the two. The Cisco ASR 1001-X on-going costs for port and throughput licenses are astronomical. Am I missing something critical on this new line? Why would anyone even look at the ASR 1001-X these days when this is available?



No comments:

Post a Comment