Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Can I create a complete virtual network in vsphere ?

Hey,

I currently have a vSphere cluster with 3 hosts, all of them have a 10g sfp+ nic that is hooked up to an sfp+ switch (mikrotik), which in turn is hooked up by sfp+ to my isp router.

I am trying to setup a kubernetes custer but I seem to understand that to allow pods to communicate with each other, I need different ipv4 blocks.

Currently, I am running everything in my network on this block : 192.168.0.0/24

My ISP router does not allow me to manage vlans or assign anything to something other than this block.

Since most of my self hosted services are running on static IPs and gateway and a lot of timeand effort went down into reverse proxying these services so that they are available from the outside, changing the main router is not really an option.

I was thinking that maybe it would be possible to have a virtualized pfSense machine or something (I also have a ubiquiti edgerouter x for that matter but it's only 1gb eth so that would be a downer), and setup virtual switches in vSphere to manage new networks directly inside the vSphere cluster. Can it for example attach virtual NICs to virtual machines to connect them to another network ?

Now my networking knowledge is pretty basic, and I have never really played with vlans. Do you have any resources I could read through to do this ? Is it even doable ? I have no idea how I would go about configuring this in vSphere as I do not know how virtual switches work either, but I would be really thankful if some of you could point me towards the right direction :)

Thanks !



No comments:

Post a Comment