Friday, April 23, 2021

Am I being stubborn for wanting to run BGP? OSPF or another IGP the way to go? What are YOU running

Currently looking for a little advice. I was ideally looking looking to get some bgp running inside my network. Excuse the jank drawing: https://ibb.co/r6t5WG8

Original plan: IBGP peering between each colos core and edge routers, then eBGP between all edges. I thought this would be a good scalable way to route internally (network is much bigger and has more locations than shown but thats the gist). However, Due to our core gear using the same ASN at each colo to peer with our provider for WAN. That kind of throws a wrench in plans. Anyone have thoughts on whether this is a route worth pursuing? Are there any workarounds to this same ASN # ? Maybe as-override or something similiar?( I could go as far as have our provider change it at the locations but that would be very painful)

I also thought about running Ibgp across the entire shindig and use the edge routers as reflectors. Never used reflectors so I'm a little hesitant.

Am I just being stubborn and should go with OSPF? I'm just not a fan of how it functions on the particular hardware we have and I like the granularity of control with BGP but if OSPF seems more reasonable for this type of environment I suppose I'll cave.

Already running iBGP on leaf switches so I've gotten familiar with it as well but this wouldnt really tie into that.

Just wanted to get some input out of sheer curiosity. Are any of you running BGP internally? If so how?



No comments:

Post a Comment