Friday, April 9, 2021

2 IP blocks from ISP, why not 1?

I've applied for a gigabit fibre internet connection from my ISP. They've finished installing it and have provided the IP details, I have a /30 which is to be used for my router and then they've provided a /29 for me to route myself (i.e. in a different range and not part of their gateway).

I'm trying to split this block between 2 routers/firewalls. Previously on other sites I've put a switch on the end of the ISP device and plugged my routers in and assigned one of the /29 on one device and one of the /29 on the other device. However I can't do that here as it's the /30 which has the "next hop" address for the ISP router.

Is my only option to put my own router on the /30 and then split the /29 into 2 /30s for the next hop for my own routers? This feels really wasteful.

I've asked the ISP if they can provide a /29 instead of a /30 + /29 but they're adamant that this is "how we do it now".



No comments:

Post a Comment