Tuesday, March 23, 2021

What to use for iSCSI switch?

We've always been a Cisco and HPE shop when it comes to switches, but I'm tired of paying huge prices for simple 10Gb layer 2 switches for iSCSI.

Our existing standard is two Cisco 3850-12XS (12 SFP+ ports), but most of the 3850 line is EoS and I expect the -12XS to go end of sale soon. And even then, I thought they were too expensive for what they were doing.

Does anyone make a small (10,12,16,24) SFP+ switch that has sufficient buffers, performance, and reliability to run a smallish iSCSI setup (2 ESX hosts and two Nimble arrays)?

All I need is jumbo frames. No layer 3, no MLAG, nothing fancy. A separate management interface would be nice, but if I have to add a trunk to my main switches and create a management SVI, that's OK too.

These switches would be only for iSCSI - they won't even be connected to the main network (other than for management).

What are you folks using for "cheap" iSCSI switches?



No comments:

Post a Comment