Saturday, March 27, 2021

[Question] I was wondering how many of you have actually seen Linux being used as the default OS for users? If so, how big was (were) the organisations?

I am not talking about Linux used in servers, but workstations in use by the non technical staff. For example, the receptionist or someone in accounts or marketing. MacOS does not count. I imagine developer, sysadmins and technical staff might use it, but I am interested in more wider enterprise use.

A colleague and I had a mild argument, and he was insisting that linux is not as uncommon as I think. My point was, if it was common, you would have more commercial software available. Right now, most of the linux software looks/feels like labours of love and "community" supported rather than active professional development. I am happy to be wrong on this, and it is entirely possible that my view is distorted by my professional experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment